Thursday 17 December 2015

Shoot 7 - Aylia work diary

In this shoot I went on location with a model. The model I photographed was 5 years old and also is born in Bangladesh but has moved to England for a better standard of living. The fact that the model is originally from an Asian country allows me to explore ethnicity and religion in this shoot. This also allows me show a great influence from Steve McCurry's work as this is where the majority of his photography takes place. Allowing me to gain a similar outcome due to the model being having similar culture, ethnicity and overall look to his. In this I experimented how different colours can provide different feels and moods which correspond to the facial expression and body language. Also continued using the burn tool in similar ways to before.

In the two images above I have created two different moods through just altering the colours of the same photo. The left image is brighter and more vibrant than the right which makes it look more colourful. It looks more exposed and the colour scheme producers a rather peaceful mood. However the right image has a completely different effect. I have made the subject look less saturated with much more contrast and darkness. I also used the burn tool in order to make the boy look dirty and more vulnerable which corresponds to the serious emotional facial expression. The colour scheme is slightly more yellow which makes him look less colourful and therefore convey illness which is one of the connotations of yellow. The difference in the vest between the two images above can clearly be seen as in the left it is much darker and more visible, making the one on the left look over exposed. In order to do this I selected the vest by using the lasso tool and lowered the brightness and changed the colour to make it suit the whole colour scheme. I both cases I have darker the background in order to make the subject stand out which enhances the depth of field where the background is blurred. I have also sharped the eyes too also allow them to stand out and intensify the eye contact and they also contain great emotion.

In this photograph I have created a completely different mood to the previous images. Through the use of a smile facial expression and much warmer colour scheme I have been able to create a much happier and positive atmosphere. I have taken this image from a slightly different camera angle which is slightly above eye level. Once again there is great depth of field through the blurred background. The colours are much brighter and saturated where tones of browns and oranges can be seen, contributing to the warm colour pallet. Also I sharpened the the eyes and mouth in order to allow for these to be the focal point and maximise the influence of the facial expression. The reflection in the eyes also allow the eyes to stand out.

Progression
In my next shoot I will explore the technique of blurring in further depth and show depth of field very well. I will also do some shoots in the studio to experiment with Chuck Close's blurring technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment