Monday 28 September 2015

Multiple/double exposure work diary

In this shoot I began to explore the photography technique of double/multiple 
exposure. A multiple exposure is the superimposition of two or more exposures to create a single image, and double exposure has a corresponding meaning in 
respect of two images. I learnt this technique by following tutorials on Youtube. 
Once understanding how to actually create a multiple exposure piece I began 
taking portraits of class members and also photographs of trees/plants/flowers. 
After collecting all the images I needed to, I then edited them in Photoshop. Firstly I opened the photo of the subject and erased the background to white by using 
the rubber tool. I then put the picture of the trees over the top and applied the 
setting of 'lighten' to to the layer type which merged the two images together and therefore
 creating the double exposure. After that I altered the hue/saturation, curves and 
colour balance of the pieces and even applied black and white filters.
In this multiple exposure piece I have used a portrait of a model who is facing towards the right of the frame. Also I have placed the same photo of leaves three times over the top of the image in order to gain the shape in which i have. The way the white spaces erase parts of the body implies that the subject has lost herself and parts of her body; being her head and her heart. This corresponds to the facial expression that makes it seem as if she is in deep thought. Suggesting about she is reflecting on her life. The colours are also very significant to the piece, the colours of reds, oranges and brows are very autumnal and resemble the autumn season. The goes with the erased areas in the composition as autumn represented things falling apart. 

In this double exposure I have used another portrait of a model but this time facing towards the left side of the frame. I have also merged an image of a building instead of natural objects such as plants and trees. This can suggest a place in which he has visited as the image is in fact of Big Ben and therefore can imply going on a journey, being a tourist. The great contrast which the dark building and the white background enhances the sharp texture of the building and enhances the lines and shapes which represent the structure of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment