Saturday 21 November 2015

Shoot 3 - feminine gels work diary

This is another shoot where I experimented with gel lighting but this time I had a slightly different approach. Here I have investigated different ways in which I can enhance the femininity of the female figure. I has tried to create this effect through using different colour gels, poses and also backgrounds. In order to get a colour background I didn't just roll down a different colour backdrop, instead I used a white background and directed one of the back lights towards it. By placing a gel onto this light it allowed me to project any colour that I wanted into the background and I could also alter tyne brightness and shade of the background my changing the intensity off the light. I tried to use different colour gels such as light colours like pink, purple, yellow, peach and orange which projected a much more soft and feminine light.
Lighting Diagram 

In this image I included a pink background by placing pink gel on the back light and directed it towards the white backdrop. You can see where the light is coming from as the brightness of the red side of the background is much more intense. I could perhaps try to eliminate this in photoshop and decrees the brightness to make it seem that the background is a solid flat colour. I ensure that the subject was placed in the centre of the composition and looking directly at the camera pulling a serious facial expression to connect with the audience. In photoshop I enhanced the highlights and shadows in order to show the form, shape and structure of her face, highlighting her feminine features. I did this by creating a new layer where I lightened areas such as the nose, cheeks, eyes, eyelid and mouth and darkened areas such as the crease on the eyelid, around the nose, mouth and also around the jaw in order to add definition. After doing this, the areas which i have editing would be very bold and visible, so then I decrease the opacity of the layer in order to make the effect look more subtle. Ultimately creating a softer effect where the subject appears smooth and feminine.


In this photograph I have once again used a pink background in the same way as before because i feel that the colour pink is is feminine and romantic, tender and intimate, thoughtful, sensitive and caring. It tones down the physical passion of red replacing it with a gentle loving energy. In color psychology, pink is a sign of hope. It is a positive color inspiring warm and comforting feelings. I included a yellow gel light coming in form the left side of the composition. However when reviewing the image I felt that the yellow was to bright and harsh on the image to in photoshop I changed the hue and saturation to make it into a much more warm colour which compliments the overall colour scheme. I made sure that the front light intensity was quite low to reduce the contrast. Once again I had editing the skin of the subject where I altered the highlights and shadows on the facial features like I did previously but much more subtly this time. This time I also ensure that her cheeks looked slightly rosy through the use of the paint tool in photoshop and the decreasing the opacity to make it more subtle. This contributes to the femininity and beauty of the model as it makes her look warmer and also makes it seem as if she if wearing makeup. The made the model do a pose where she flicked her here and I took a picture during the process. By doing this a sense of movement is created through the lines of the hair all pointing in one direction. I enhanced the lines of the hair by sharpening these areas. I still ensured that the subject is making eye contact with the camera in order to allow for a connection with the audience to be made. Her facial expression appears peaceful and relaxed which enhances her beauty as she seems to be effortlessly an elegantly moving. The fact that she is placed in the centre of composition and that a vignette is used allows for the attention to be directed towards the subject, making her be the focal point as desired.


Progression:
In my next shoot i aim to once again experiment with gel lighting but this time I would like to explore masculine lighting with a female subject and also feminine lighting with a male model. This would allow me to see his much the lighting can change the mood and look of a photograph. Also In the near future I would like to experiment with my photoshop skills in order to make the models look gritty and dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment