Thursday 26 November 2015

Shoot 5 - Army shoot work diary

In this shoot I decided to explore the importance and effect of using costume and makeup in order to create a certain mood. Here I got a male, military aged model to wear two sets of army costumes which I had purchased. One of the outfits consisted of a smart attired with a blazer, shirt, tie and hat which were stereotypically worn in the official soldier portraits. The other costume was a camouflage overall with a bullet vest and a helmet. These costumes are very recognisable and make to identity of the subject very clear. In this shoot i experimented with different lighting techniques to see which suited the costumes best. I tried using brighting lighting with the smart costume as I tried to replicate the original portraits layout, colours and composition. However, I felt the most successful lighting was the much darker low key lighting which worked very well with the camouflage costume. This also worked very well with the makeup I applied to the subjects face which enhanced the dirty gritty feel. I also experimented with the intensity and positioning of the light source in order to gain different moods and themes. I also experienced a problem in this shoot as I applied makeup to the subjects face but forgot to apply it to the neck so therefore it didn't look very effective. However, by using the burn tool in photoshop I was able to eliminate this problem. Overall I felt that this shoot was very successful and felt that the colours used and makeup/tools/costume all come together in order to produce successful outcomes shown below. These can be considered to show elements of Steve McCurry's work due to the content and themes surrounding war.
Lighting Diagram



In this portrait photograph I used low key lighting in order to create harsh shadows towards the left side of the subject's face which contribute to the mood greatly. The light source is coming from the right side of the composition which causes shadows, which are very effective in showing the form of the face and neck. I like how the lighting has caused a reflection in the subjects eyes, allowing them to stand out. I sharpened the eyes of the model to allow them to stand out even further. Here I also applied makeup to the subject's which in attempt to make him look gritty and dirty and seem as if he has been in action, providing stereotypes associated with soldiers and the army. In photoshop I used the burn tool in order to contribute to the dirtiness of the neck and some areas on the face. I also sharpened some areas more than others in order to imply a sense of texture. I ensured that the colours of the photograph remained very dark with shadows and browns which contribute to the overall earthy mood. Also the black background furthers the darkness in the image which works well with the dark tones and shadows. The fact that the figure is looking away from the camera and is deep in thought provides the sense that he reflecting on his time in the war.

This photograph is from a different angle to the previous, this time I took the photo from a side on angle whilst being more zoomed out. I also made the subject where the helmet as well as the rest of the costume. By taking the photo in this way I was able to capture the country flag/badge on the arm of the model which I feel provides a sense of pride and identity. By using a black background and placing the lighting in front of where he is facing, the profile of the model's face is enhanced and the shadows form shows the structure and form. Once again through using the makeup and burn tool I was able to make to subject seem very dirty and made it seem as if he has been in action. Here I also applied the burn tool and also the paint tool on the costume of the subject to show continuity and also to continue the dirty theme. By sharpening areas, specifically on the cheek I was able to show the texture very well. This rough texture works very well in attempt to imply slight grazes and deterioration to the skin. The colours are once again very dark and gritty which I feel works very well with my intensions. I reduced the warmth slightly in order to gain a colder effect which can be related to war.



This photograph has been taken from a close up front on angle with the model looking directly at the camera. His facial expression appears to be straight but holds great emotion and seems very intense. Through the use of the low key lighting the majority of the left side of the face is covered with shadow. This implies a sense of mystery as it seems like he is hiding something, his past. The shadow is dominating the image and therefore resembles how his past is dominating his and still effective, demonstrating the effects of war. I sharpened the eyes again which allows them to stand out and make the eye contact more tense. I then decided to apply a black and white effect which effects the mood and feel of the piece very well. It causes for a very emotional piece to be made with the big contrast. I once again used a black background which contributes to the whole dark theme. This implies themes of sadness and even regret through the colours and facial expression used; illustrating the psychological effects of war. 


Progression:
In my next shoot I would like to continue with improving my editing skills in regards to making the model seem dirty and gritty. I could perhaps relate this to Steve McCurry's work in order to provide a sense of culture through the use of costume.

1 comment:

  1. camera settings, and how they affect the outcome shutter speed, aperture, depth of field..

    ReplyDelete