Thursday 21 January 2016

Overall Evaluation

In this evaluation I will talk about the values within my work in regards to artists influences/
research, experimenting with techniques and methods, eventually resulting in my final 
outcome. Our projects are divided up into four different assessment objectives.

Firstly, AO1 consists of the initial ideas and responses to the starting point as well 
contextual research. To achieve high marks in this assessment objective I decided to research and investigate a starting point which is prevalent in every day life and could be very interesting to explore. A mindmap and a proposal of the starting point of colour were created. This displayed my initial response and sequential thinking in order to inspire me to carry out imaginative leaps, allowing me to show a clear journey. When carrying out in depth contextual research I ensured that I analysed their work by using an effective use of critical vocabulary. Thus allowing me to produce sustained and focussed investigations that clearly demonstrate an influence and relation to each of my chosen artists by using similar methods and techniques. I felt that when creating pieces of work showing artist’s influences, I was very effective in showing inspiration from Nadav Kander, Steve McCurry, Brian Smith and Ram Shergill. Due to studying these photographers work my investigations were very sustained, focussing heavily on taking photographs which contained intellectual content and meaning. As the project progressed I showed an increased interest in less vibrant and more muted colour schemes with interest with experimentations with lighting and also depth of field.

Additionally, AO2 is associated with experimenting with appropriate methods, resources, 
media, techniques and material as well as showing an ability to refine my work. I feel that 
my work has been very creative and imaginative as I have experimented with a variation of methods and techniques. Throughout the course of this project I have experimented with lighting techniques such as gel and low key lighting as well as several costumes, props locations and colour schemes. I have also experimented with the Photoshop software which is evident through my computer experiments and print techniques where I explore different processes in order to produce a range of different and interesting outcomes. I also used tools such as the sharpening tool to sharpen certain areas, normally the eye, in order to focus the attention. I also used several tools such as the blemish, content awareness and patch tools in order to remove any flaws and issues in my images. The burn, dodge and paint tools where used to make the subject's seem dirty which was very relevant to Steve McCurry's work. I have constantly demonstrated a fluent ability to refine my work as ideas 
develop by introducing artists’ styles into my own. Initially, I explored very vibrant colours, looking at the connotations of each colour and what they resemble. I feel that in my fifth shoot was a turning point of my project where a photographed a male model at military age in a soldier costume. This consisted of very dark, muted earthy colours which were very emotional and contained a lot of meaning. From this point onwards my work shifted towards using less colour and black and white and what effects they have and what they can suggest in association to the subject and their state. This specifically allowed me to introduce the work of McCurry and Smith.

I also believe I have demonstrated a highly effective command of the formal elements in 
order to create successful photography. I have commanded all the formal elements 
effectively through studying my artists’ work as they all provided me with different 
approaches in order to illustrate specific formal elements. I feel that I have shown an in 
depth subject knowledge which is evident through the annotations of my work where I have used critical vocabulary in order to discuss values. My work diaries from each shoot were 
very successful in allowing me to demonstrate an ability to reflect on my work and progress. In these work diaries I explained the process and equipment that I used and picked two or more pieces from each shoot and analysed them, explaining my view on whether they are successful or not. Also I included a progression section in each work diary which illustrated what I would like to do in my next shoot, allowing me to demonstrate a clear journey. I feel that my use of poses, positioning, composition and lighting were all very effective and contributed to my high standard of photography. I also feel my colour treatment was very relevant in all cases in order to produce certain moods.

Furthermore, I believe that my work is very effective and deemed as exciting due to its 
originality. From the start of the project to the final outcome I have demonstrated a 
consistent high standard of work. I feel that my final outcomes are very effective in 
illustrating the influences of Nadav Kander, Steve McCurry and Brian Smith through he use of their techniques in my own work. Overall, I feel that I have displayed a constant ability to 
produce very original work at a high standard, simultaneously refining it, showing the 
influences of my photographers and resulting in creating very personal response to the starting point of colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment