Tuesday 12 January 2016

Shoot 10 - Work Diary

This shoot is considerably different to the previous locations shoots as I have adapted a completely different approach. In this shoot I am beginning to show influence of Brian Smith and Ram Shergill in my own work. The use of colour of no colour can effect the mood of the piece drastically and here I have attempted to enhance the seriousness and formality of the outcomes. In this photoshoot I photographed a male model in dark formal attire. In some cases the subject was lost in the dark background due to its similarity in colour so next time I am going to considered contrasting colours in order to allow the model to stand out. I experimented with studio lighting such as a soft box and also a red head light with a honeycomb grid attached to it in order to direct and concentrate the light on the subject. I used the camera setting F stop 11 and shutter speed of 1/125. Throughout the shoot I experimented with a range of positions and directions I could have the light coming from as well as trying different light intensities. This shoot is slightly bending towards the topic of fashion and how the colours are used in the fashion industry, particularly in regards to men and formal clothing.
Lighting Diagram




This is my favourite photograph from the shoot as it stands out from the rest and is considerably unique in comparison to the others. Here I have placed the subject in the centre of the composition on a stall with his hands in his pocket looking away from the camera. I placed the softbox to the right of the subject, pointing slightly down on him which also projects light onto the floor. The red head light is placed behind the subject facing him which provided a light outline of the subject which allows him to stand out from the black background. Also I have taken the photograph from a higher angle than usual in order to get part of the floor in which is very different to the rest of my images. However, originally there were many flaws and issues with the photograph such as worn areas on the stall and also many creases and marks in the floor and backdrop. Despite this, by using the content awareness and patch tools I was able to eliminate the flaws by replacing them with other cleaner smoother areas in the composition. When doing this the floor then became patchy and didn't look as effective, so I then used the paint tool, using different shades and tones in order to create a gradient from the floor to the black backdrop. This then provided a great sense of depth which is very successful. I then got rid of any blemish on the model's face and altered the colour balance and colour selection create a rather modern, cold colour scheme which works well with the formality of the poses, facial expression and clothing.












For this photograph I placed the subject and light source closer to the background which allowed for the background to be lighter than the subject's suit, allowing him to stand out. I felt it was necessary to do this as sometimes the dark colour of the subjects suit got lost within the black background and shadows. I then used a black and white effect which enhances the formal atmosphere and also the tones/form, complimenting the formal attire. The use of black and white and a suit implies a sense of class and authority. I like the shadows around the side of the face and hands/fingers which imply a sense of shape and structure. The contrast is less intense which allows for a much calmer mood, working well with the pose of the model being him preparing himself. For me I intended to imply the calm before the storm. The framing and use of black and white shows great relation to Brian Smith's work. I could've perhaps included slightly more contrast in order to allow for the subject to stand out more.

Progression:
In my next shoot I would like to use the same model but in a different colour suit, perhaps grey, to will allow him to stand out more from the background. I will experiment with more poses and maybe even props to allow the photos to look more professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment